at least CEASE will be happy there is still a school in BSG and will they keep fighting for Appy and Pound. They didn't care before the plan was to take away a school in BSG and they can never escape that fact.
I think the state can step in when the school system becomes under-funded. That would bring some change and none of our present board members would have to bear any of the blame. I was wondering , if we can't fund the present schools, how are we going to build new ones without the same tax increase? I saw a figure on the 54 million dollar "Basham" plan that would have doubled the amount of local taxes that goes to schools. By now, that will probably be double and you still have old schools. That was one of my major complaints- Basham wanted to put the kids from Appalachia and Big Stone Gap in "mobile classrooms" on the PV parking lot.
We'll keep the lights on for you.
Spuds
at least CEASE will be happy there is still a school in BSG and will they keep fighting for Appy and Pound. They didn't care before the plan was to take away a school in BSG and they can never escape that fact.
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Last night, Mr. Bates made a substitue motion, in place of the two on one. I can't remember what all his motion included, for the other towns, BUT one thing it did include was to build a new school in Big Stone. I think he and maybe Ms. Kilgore voted for it. Mr. Rivers didn't.
The School Board meets Monday night, Feb. 14, 6:00 at the Education Center. They are supposed to decide then what will happen to six high schools.
Yeah, he said that, but he said that to counter Robbins' motion to build a new school at Wise, and to "remodel" the other schools. Seems Bates was too hung up on Robbins calling Castlewood's improvements a renovation instead of remodeling.
And, I think that the "special tool" that Rivers eluded to was that he is working with the county attorney to introduce a resolution for an ordinance for public building codes and inspections. If Kelly is so dilapidated, then this would force the SB to shut Kelly down for safety reasons, thus making Kelly's students go elsewhere such as Pound and Coeburn. Wait and see if this doesn't happen.
The story given here about Eastman and Dungannon is very true.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
Consolidation HAS to happen. PERIOD. Ive said it a million times on here. the most logical solution is to have two schools on each end of the county. Put one in Wise and one in BSG/Appalachia and be done with it. You could even just renovate PV/AHS and JJK instead of building brand new schools. WC already owns the land at PVHS, and it is a more central location for kids on this end of the county. Not to mention better access. PVHS is right off the interstate, gives a better access point.
Building a new school on the current AHS location seems absolutely absurd to me, but it makes more sense than 2-1. The county HAS to unify! We HAVE to get a solution in place or people will continue to leave this area and OUR COUNTY WILL DIE! IT WILL DIE!
A school in Big Stone WILL NOT be Powell Valley after renovations/building a new school, whats the problem? We KNOW we HAVE to do something, its simply not financially fesiable to keep all these schools open. PERIOD.
And the logical solution to determine sites is to use population and number of kids enrolled. How is it not? It should go by the numbers to be as fair as possible. Wise has more kids than Pound, ergo Pound should close and a school should be in Wise. PV has more kids than AHS, so there should be a school in Big Stone. It would make absolutely no sense to do it the other way around.
BUT, as I have said before, if the people of Appalachia continue to refuse to use any sort of foresight and common sense and refuse to acknowledge that Big Stone makes more sense for a school then Appalachia, build a school in Appalachia! It makes more sense than two on one. The county needs two school on separate locations.
[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future
But, according to all who are involved, Pound is not so dilapidated that it can't be fixed. Folks from Wise have said time and time again, that their school is falling apart and can't be fixed. I have not seen either school in years so I can't say they are or aren't. I am just plainly stating what I thnk they are planning on doing. I do think it is a shame that our elected officials would resort to something such as that.
Bookmarks